Thursday, August 21, 2014

Whidbey Island

After being in Spokane for a couple of weeks, we decided to drive out west to Whidbey Island to drop off my sister, and to see the beautiful home she and her husband just bought. Of course Whidbey is gorgeous. It's a small island about 2 hours west of Seattle. It is green, luscious, and obviously surrounded by the beautiful Pacific. Abby's home is a dream. It overlooks the San Juan Islands, and Canada. Their home is also surrounded by acres and acres of trees, and hundreds of edible berry bushes. I couldn't imagine a more ideal home for Abby.


 The second day we were there, we got a couple of babysitters to watch all of the kids, so the sisters could go out exploring. We enjoyed the day in Coupeville. A tiny town, with adorable shops, beautiful views, and delicious food. 






(Sorry Abby)

The kid's morning ritual consisted of going outside to collect slugs, and making little habitats using every mason jar, and cup that Abby had in the house. I especially loved to hear the clever names they came up with.

 



I couldn't get over the insane amount of berries that we picked, thimble berries, huckleberries, and blackberries to name a few. Walking through the bushes and trees with Abby brought me back to My childhood. When I was little,  Abby and I would pretend to be little orphan children living off the land. This is one of my most cherished memories of my childhood. 


We took a morning to go and see the tide pools. I have yet to find "real" tide pools in Jacksonville, so I was excited to see how Sam would react to all the ocean critters. I think the freezing water was a little aggravating for him. This was something he wasn't used to...







(Love the Red boots)



Evolution Roll?

My friend Melanie and her fiance live on Whidbey Island, which is ironic. So I was so excited they were able to come join us for dinner and a enjoy an evening bonfire. I think we altered any ideas of them having kids in the near future. 9 kids can do that.



Our trip was short lived, but lovely. My mom mentioned this is a once in a life time trip for us. I realized how right she was. It is so rare for a group of 4 sisters and their kids, who all live in different parts of the country, to go on a road trip together. NOT that it wasn't stressful! Having all those kids with no husbands to help wasn't easy, but it was one trip I will never forget. Thank you Abby for being such a great host, even though you were dealing with morning sickness the entire time! Love you!


(Coming into Spokane)

No comments: