Sunday, January 12, 2014

October

I love the month of October because it actually starts to cool off here in Jacksonville, and when I say cool off, I really mean it's below 85. But I do enjoy the feeling of putting up fall decorations, making pumpkin treats, eating lots of soups, and just getting into that festivey mood.

(Created signs this year. Wreath, last year)

I absolutely love going to pumpkin patches. Sadly, Jacksonville's idea of a pumpkin patch limits itself to a small lot covered in hay, pumpkins scattered everywhere shipped from Pennsylvania...  Sam still had a great time picking out his perfect pumpkin. He didn't love carving it out but sure enjoyed watching his mom and dad do it. We had heard that the pumpkins here could grow mold over time, but we were not prepared that "over time" meant THE NEXT DAYI about died.



Halloween has never been a holiday I get too excited for. I'm not really sure why. It may be because growing up I was the only girl dressed in a real costume and everyone else wore, well, nothing? So I felt out of place a little. Or it could have been the fact that we lived up in the hills so we never got a single trick or treater. Or maybe I just don't like to dress up...  But now that I have a little boy and husband that love to dress up, it makes this holiday a lot more fun! Plus, women my age seem to wear more clothing. (most of the time) Wayne and I start planning Sam's costume months in advance. I am NOT one to spend hundreds of dollars on something he will only wear once. If I can create with what I already have, or something I can sew myself then that's the route I'll go. This year everyone seemed to be going with the superhero theme. which Sam too,
 LOVED superheros. So we went with that, just in a little less of an obvious way.
 It was a hit at our church trunk or treat since he was voted "most creative." 
Sam was Clark Kent, Wayne was Jimmy the photographer, and I was Loise Lane. Most people got the costumes except one man who thought Sam was 
supposed to be "Smart." I didn't realize smart could be a costume. 








No comments: